The public space design covers a large area surrounding the site, and aims to connect surrounding communities through consideredand effective design, including:
- A total area of 1.25ha of public space to be improved.
- High quality hard landscape materials combined with mature tree planting and robust ornamental planting to create a series of public spaces which hope to excite and inspire local people and visitors to the area.
- The proposals aim to strengthen pedestrian connectivity across West India Dock Road through a series of interventions including improved crossing points and a new staircase connection to the Westferry DLR station.
- These new public spaces aim to encourage social interaction and subsequently strengthen established connections and relationships within the wider community.
- The landscape proposals are a significant and key part of the scheme, and an opportunity to greatly improve the surrounding local environment and public space experience.
- Wind and pollution resistant trees
- Tall upright trees along roads
- Seasonal interest
- Flowering trees
1 Dryopetris flix-mas
2 Hakonechloa macra ‘Alboaurea’
3 Narcissus Alfred King
4 Pachisandra terminalis
5 Sarcococca confusa
- Granite paving:
a simple palette and durable materials.
- High quality granite setts, warm colours
- Granite sculptural benches and planters